Well hello again! It’s been a long while since my last post thanks to all the wedding preps and settling in. I’ve still not settled a 100% and still haven’t finished a long-pending- list of errands to run. That’s because both of us were and are busy and just busy. BUT, this does NOT mean I’m not cooking anymore. Never ever is that going away, cannot! It may be the only thing that is keeping me sane amidst all of the chaos..and my boyfriend-now-husband, of course!
Moving on to the real deal of this post is my beloved home food. Classic staple meal of any Kashmiri you know is Rogan Josh. The actual dish is made of lamb/mutton, but I could only get a hold of chicken.
Rogan Josh is meaty and curry filled with spices and flavor – You cannot do without.
- 500 grams of Chicken (preferable Thigh piece: Leg & Thigh separated into 3-4 pieces)
- 3 – 4 Big Black Cardamom
- 4 – 5 Bay Leaves
- 4 – 6 Cloves
- 2 – 4 Cinnamon Stick
- 3 – 4 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 – 2 tbsp Garam Masala (mixture of spices)
- Salt to Taste
- Clean and cut pieces of chicken pieces.
- Heat oil in a wok on medium heat.
- Add black cardamom, bay leaves, cloves and cinnamon stick in the heated oil. Mix till fragrant.
- Add chicken pieces to the oil and sauté well. Cook for at least 10 minutes.
- Once chicken is cooked – add red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and salt.
- Mix well and let chicken absorb for at least 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and let it boil. Water depends on how much curry you want with the meat.
- Serve it hot with rice and yoghurt side.