When me and my mom feel like cool ass bakers with pastry sheets and all, we make…
- 1-2 cups chopped Spinach
- 1 finely chopped Onion
- 2 minced Garlic Cloves
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella Cheese
- Filo Pastry Sheets
- 1/2 cup of Melted Butter
- Heat butter on medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, and sauté till translucent.
- Add chopped spinach, garlic powder and black pepper powder.
- Cook till spinach wilted.
- Remove the spinach mix from the pan to a mixing bowl.
- Cool the spinach mix in fridge for at least 1-2 hours.
- Ready the grated cheese to start the filling.
To make the pie/puff:
- Cut out sheet in half to use as equal layers.
- Take 1 sheet at a time, place it on a flat platform.
- Butter the top of the sheet and add another pastry sheet on top.
- Now butter the top of 2nd sheet, then repeat with more sheets. Note: The more sheets you add the more puffy and crispier it becomes.
- Spoon the filling in the center of the sheet.
- Add cheese on the filling.
- Slowly, close one side of the sheet to the center. Butter the top.
- Close all sides one by one, and butter their top.
- Closed like a parcel. Butter the top of the puff.
- Place the puffs in the oven at 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven when puff should be golden brown.
Enjoy your crispy bite.
Get on my Instagram or Facebook page to watch the Spinach Mail in-the-making.