We use to order to Phat Phric Kaeng Pla Duk, this Thai dish from my dad’s friend, but it was high time I learn it. It basically has red curry paste and fried catfish (pla duk). So my dad called his friend home to teach me this particular recipe. It is to die for!
You guys really need to have or try to make this dish because IT IS DELICIOUSSS! I think I’m going to re-make it very, very soon. Check it out.
1/2 cup minched Red Chillies
1 cup Red Curry Paste
1-2 tbsp Palm Sugar
1 tbsp Sugar
1-2 tbsp Chicken Flavor Powder
2 tsp Fish Oil
4-5 Kaffir Leaves
4 diagonally diced big Red Chillies
2 strands of Green Peppercorns
1/2 cup of finely sliced Finger root or Chinese Galangal
8-10 pieces Fried Sliced Catfish
1/3 cup of water
- Clean and slice catfish. Deep fry before cooking.
- Add oil to a medium heat wok with minced red chilies. Cook well till fragrant.
- Add red curry paste and cook till the oil starts to dry off. Then, add the 1/3 cup of water slowly to the chilies.
- Now add seasonings such as palm sugar, sugar, chicken flavor powder and fish oil.
- Keep stir frying till the you see chilies floating.
- Add kaffir leaves, finger root and peppercorns. Stir fry for at least a minute.
- Finally, add the diagonally cut big chillies and fried fish pieces to the wok. Mix slowly. Cook another 5-10 minutes so the fish soak up the flavor.
- Serve hot with rice.