The past 9 days most Indians are celebrating as some may call it, a festival, called Navratre. During this festival we are supposed to observe the fast throughout the 9 days or only on the first and last day, it’s merely your choice. Besides fasting and daily veneration, we are not allowed to eat non-vegetarian meals or anything. Sure, some people are “lucky” who don’t follow this and some people are being “blessed” if they follow it. Those two words are in quotes because it depends person to person, it’s very subjective. And I am no one to make any conclusion nor judgement in this matter.
Well that got a bit too serious, but today is the last day and I made sure we ended with a good Thai Vegetarian meal. I was seriously craving something spicy and tasty. No chicken, no meat, does not mean one cannot relish any Thai herbs and spices. It is very possible with any vegetable you like be it bitter gourd or cucumber. Anything and everything is possible, just the desire to have the Thai taste in the dish is needed. So I chose ridged gourd or angled loofah (aka turai in Hindi) and Sweet onion to make our wonderful lunch.
The Gourdified Phat
- 3 long Ridged Gourd (serves 4-6)
- 3 medium-sized Sweet Onion
- 5-6 Green/Red chilli
- 2-3 tbsp of minced Garlic
- 4 tbsp of Soya Sauce (or Fish Sauce)
- 4 tbsp of Mushroom Sauce
- 1 tsp of Salt
- 2 tbsp os Sugar
- 2 tbsp of Red Chilli Powder (optional)
- 4 tbsp of Oil
- 1 cup of water
- Prepare all the ingredients by having the vegetables washed and diced. And mincing the garlic and chillies, separately.
- Put the oil in the pan on medium heat. Add the garlic and the minced chillies. Stir fry till almost brown.
- Add the sweet onion and gourd. Mix well so all of it is wrapped up with the essence of the garlic and chillies.
- Season the vegetables. Add the soya sauce, mushroom sauce, salt, sugar and red chilli powder. Mix well so everything is flavored evenly.
- Add the cup of water and stir. Cover with a lid for 5 minutes for a complete flavor.
- And it’s ready to serve!
Thai fast food if I may, is healthy and delicious too! I even made some tom yam (Thai clear soup) to go with it for lunch, which I shall post soon.